Dressing for Success in the 21st Century

Students in schools all around the country are struggling with dress code policies as they clash with modern day clothing, and this is no different for the students of Pinkerton Academy.

A survey distributed to all students yielded 700 responses between October 4 and October 14th. 91.7 percent of the 700 respondents disagreed with the current dress code, while 8.3 percent agreed.

Many students who disagreed with the dress code argued that it is sexist, targets and objectifies women, along with limits their ability to express themselves. Those who support the dress code tend to believe that women who break it deserve the repercussions. Many also stated that they agree with it because it doesn’t affect them. 

Those who want the dress code changed appear to have many of the same ideologies about what needs to change. These include the rules regarding ripped jeans, tank tops, and shorts length. The significant proportion of these responses requested that the dress code be modified so that it is less oriented toward women.

Pinkerton Academy’s headmaster, Dr. Timothy Powers, alluded to modifying the dress code during a press conference on September 16  and was later interviewed for further information on Wednesday, October 6. Powers repeatedly stated that the dress code is in place for professionalism and advancing one’s career in the eyes of the administration.

“Instead of saying the dress code doesn’t allow you to wear certain things, having a dress code that states what we are trying to achieve with it and we are trying to achieve that students understand and realize how to dress for success,” Powers said. 

He went on to explain how the dress code is enforced for the benefit of students as they grow and mature into adulthood and enter careers where a dress code will most likely be in place. However, some student opinions conflict with this. 

“I don’t know if you guys think it reflects the school like us wearing ripped jeans makes Pinkerton look bad, but it doesn’t. Honestly the complaints about dress code make it look worse,” said Jaclyn Gilligan, class of 2022.

Many students like Gilligan are hoping for a relaxation in the dress code, and according to Powers, they just might get it. Every five years a committee of staff members and students meet to revise the dress code. The committee is meeting this year. 

“The dean of students is spearheading a dress code revision committee,” said Powers. “We’re taking your faculty, staff and students and taking a look at the current dress code…at the end of this year there’ll be potentially some changes to the dress code for future years.”