Mack Plaque Win Reunites Students After Last Year’s Loss

Laurabeth Bestwick, Writer

After losing last year during the COVID-19 pandemic, the fall athletes reclaimed this year’s Mack Plaque in their week of games against Londonderry with lots of support from the student body. After Pinkerton’s 20 year streak was lost in 2020, students and faculty alike were unsure as to what the results of this year’s Mack Plaque would be.

“I don’t think last year’s loss really held any substance with the student body because they weren’t allowed to be there. We knew we lost but we weren’t really able to process it,” said Lani Buskey, Sports Literature teacher and varsity basketball coach.

The first Mack Plaque game was played in 1983, named after the Mack family with three generations of Pinkerton graduates. Since then, it has become increasingly clear that it isn’t just sport fanatics who care about it. The ongoing rivalry between the Astros and the Lancers encourages school pride and allows the fans to witness athletes compete at a high level. Almost everyone, including those who have never played on the field in their lives, gets excited about the games.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the only people allowed to attend the games last year were the families of the players. The student body’s inability to cheer for their home team last year contributed to a large number of fans supporting the athletes. Even though the football team lost to the Lancers, the fall athletes recaptured the Mack Plaque. The golf, boys and girls cross-country, girls volleyball, and girls soccer teams defeated their Londonderry opponents while the field hockey team tied to ensure the Plaque returned to campus.

Mack Plaque weekend for many at both schools is the highlight of the fall sports season, and this year it lived up to its hype. With less COVID-19 restrictions, the students came back to support the teams and can once again claim bragging rights now that the Plaque has returned to campus. Safe to say– the weekend of competitions and the homecoming dance Saturday night boosted the school’s morale.

“I think Mack Plaque is just a part of our culture here,” said Buskey. “It’s part of being a Pinkerton student. The rivalry can still be there even if you’re not really that into sports.”