Passion for Theater: Mary LaChance

Grace Plecinoga, Staff Writer

Junior Mary LaChance is involved in Pinkerton Players and class office, as well as many other clubs and organizations that help to define who she is as a student, person, friend, and community member. 

LaChance’s biggest passion, as demonstrated through her choice of activities in school, is theater. From academics in school to extracurricular activities, theater is clearly a huge part of her life, and she has been able to bring that with her onto campus. 

Taking classes like “Intro to Theatre” and “Musical Theatre Workshop” have allowed LaChance to incorporate her passion into her daily academic life. These classes have been incredibly enjoyable to her, to the extent that she even says that these are her favorite classes at Pinkerton thus far. She also looks forward to potentially taking “Advanced Theatre Making” in her senior year. 

Outside of the school day, Pinkerton Players proves to be a wonderful way for LaChance to work on what she is most passionate about. Over her years at Pinkerton, she has taken roles in, Children of Eden, Pirates of Penzance, Children of Eden, and Coney Island Christmas

However, LaChance’s true love for theater truly shines through in the productions she hasn’t taken a role in. When LaChance was not cast in She Kills Monsters this past fall, it did not stop her from participating, which shows her true commitment to theater. She worked with the stage crew in order to still participate in the production. 

“I’d like to say I’m passionate about a lot of things,” said LaChance, “but the first that comes to my mind is theater. I do as much as I can within Players, taking any opportunity to either be in a show or help with it.”

LaChance is also very involved in clubs including a lot of leadership positions. She is the communications coordinator for class office as well as the Student Senate Representative for Pinkerton Players. LaChance is also an active member of Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), World Language Honor Society (WLHS), and the Academy Mentor Program (AMP). 

Her induction to the World Language Honor Society for her outstanding performance in her French classes truly shows that LaChance is a dedicated, hardworking student. Her key to success is hard work and persistence, as well as making sure she takes care of herself. 

LaChance said “All of this comes with time and hard work. This was not a breeze for me at all. There were lots of tears shed and late night and even all nighters, it was not easy. You have to recognize between hard work and being too hard on yourself, and you need time for yourself above all.”

Despite the challenges that have accompanied her success, LaChance is very grateful and happy with her experience at Pinkerton Academy. Finding the balance between her academics and social life is wonderfully rewarding for her, and she thanks Pinkerton Academy for this. 

“I can take classes that help and prepare me for my future, and also find my passions and what I want to do with my life,” LaChance said. “I still find the little moments during the day where I wave to a friend, and sometimes the only thing that gets me through the day is knowing that I get to see them all at the end of the day. I am extremely thankful that Pinkerton has brought them to me.”