COVID-19 Impact: Learning From Home

Won't You Zoom with Me?

Aleksandra Carney, Staff Writer

Rolling out of bed at 7:56 am in order to attend a class at 8:00 am may sound like an impossible dream, but for students around the world, it has become a reality. With the rapid spread of the novel COVID-19 virus plaguing the globe, most United States schools have moved to remote learning in order to limit close contact. Pinkerton was no exception. For the past three weeks, students and staff have been following a revised block schedule that provides structured class times for four classes each day. 

In order to adjust to the new routine, students and staff have been forced to deal with situations that previously would never have arisen, whether it be watching siblings during classes, sharing one laptop with 3 other people, or trying to adjust labs to fit into an online format. Dr. Hanlon, an Honors Chemistry teacher, shared her approach to the remote learning switch. 

“I have been using Zoom, and though I have not used it before, I feel like it has been quite successful. We [PA staff] were introduced to this and other formats immediately before the shutdown but had limited time for training at school, we do however have amazing technical support from IT and other faculty members. With lab and hands-on classes, there will have to be some adaptations but there are many virtual online sources to supplement this aspect. For me, there have been assignments on almost all days but also attendance in the Zoom session counts as participation. Other than some minor tech glitches, there have not been issues with either me or my students being able to participate,” said Hanlon.

When asked, most students said that math and science classes such as chemistry and physics were the hardest ones to learn via remote learning.  However, despite these arising issues, many students seem to enjoy being at home. Sofia Eckerson, Camille Waddington, and Connie Park, all members of the class of 2021, who recently received news that their prom would be postponed, shared their opinions through The Launchpad’s Instagram poll. 

“I take a lot less time to complete my work during remote learning, mostly everything is done during the class period”- Sofia Eckerson.

“Some things are nice like not having to go to class if you have lunch or a study period. – Connie Park.

“I have an easier schedule but seems like more work, though also nice to do in bed.” – Camille Waddington. 

According to students, the trick to staying on task when faced with the option to remain in bed is to structure the day like a normal school day.

“I just try to get my school work all done before 2 like a normal school day, and I spend around 3-4 hours a day on schoolwork. Sometimes it can get hard because there are many distractions. I also sometimes will fall asleep if I try to do my work in bed,” said Alexa Napolitano. 

As the COVID-19 situation progresses, it is important to remember that in the midst of the craziness lay silver linings. Students and staff have used the new benefits of remote learning to spend more time with family members, and detox from the stress of everyday life. When we asked the PA community to share their remote learning stories, @alexandrinelacasse and @its.stegeh.thank.you.very.much shared the following:

“Pausing during my health class to watch a live stream of California sea lion training by the NE aquarium with my nephew.” @alexandrinelacasse.

“I completed my entire first period and passed in all my work from the sanctity of a mountain of pillows and blankets. Very pleased.” @its.stegeh.thank.you.very.much.

Stay safe everyone!