Small Piece, Big Role

Allyson Bridges Profile

Alexandria Zimmerman, Staff writer

The lights in the science building seemed just a little too bright for Allyson Bridges’s taste. She checks her phone again. There were no new emails from extracurriculars about new changes and no changes to the class office agenda on its respective Google document. Most senior events planning and outlining were scheduled for discussion today. What didn’t get accomplished would have to be pushed back to a different meeting.

The class office had just finished preparing the exam pack fundraiser for parents to buy for their students. Gift bags filled with snacks, water, pens, highlighter and sticky notes and tagged with a personalized note from the parent or guardian. The exam packs were a lot to handle but Allyson found herself becoming excited at the aspect of planning senior year events. It was their senior year after all, one of the most hyped up years of high school. It was a year that she wanted to make special. As Allyson neared room 300, both Mrs. Jessica Brown, the advisor, and Naliah Davis, the vice president, were already there preparing for the meeting to start. The sound of their chatter about the upcoming activities pierced the silence. Allyson said her hellos and good mornings and got straight to the task at hand. Students started filing through the door. Night owls had their coffee in hand, and early risers were already chatting away about what had already happened in their day and what was to come. Allyson consulted the google agenda again before starting the meeting. 

Allyson Bridges, 17 and only a small part of the class of 2023, one of roughly 800, but she plays a big role, both as president of her class, and taking a leadership role in other activities as well. 

“I’m in the class office, I’m president of that. I’m in the Leadership Council of Athletics, leader of the Astro Machine and Astro Machine Announcements,” she said. “And then Academy mentor programming, Foreign language honor society, National honor society, and science honor society. Also I’m on Varsity Girls Basketball.” 

While many eighth graders contact Pinkerton to learn about the school itself, few take advantage of their opportunity to engage in clubs. Bridges wanted to get involved as soon as possible, including going to club meetings on campus. 

“Starting in eighth grade, I was already coming to Pinkerton for different things to try to get involved as soon as possible.” Bridges reflected. “I was intimidated as an eighth grader but then my freshman year, I was pretty confident on campus.”

In order to become president one would have to attend a meeting, fill out an application, and submit said application on time. They also have to get along with their peers as the students have  a say in who they want as their president. According to class office advisor Mrs. Jennifer Brown Bridges fits the typical role of the class president. 

“I was talking to my friends who are going to apply to class office, nobody was saying they’re going to be president. And I knew I could take on that role because I know my abilities and I figured I could do it well,” she said. 

Bridges’s high school career hasn’t been without bumps, she’s had her own struggles which she was quick to put into perspective. 

“I think [Allyson] struggles with school work. She is taking all AP and A level classes. That can be stressful,” said Naliah Davis, Class Office Vice President. 

Through the past couple of years, the COVID-19 pandemic has had its effect on everyone. Bridges puts an optimistic twist on it as she reflects on the things she’s learned through the pandemic.  

“[I’m] really passionate about staying safe. Making sure I’m doing everything I can to stay safe until it encourages my peers around me and the people in my life to also do the same,” she said.

The pandemic also gave her time to rethink her future. She started the pandemic focused on the medical field but reached the end with a more open mindset about her future.   

“The pandemic and everything that’s happened recently I’ve kind of realized that [medicine] might not be what I actually want to do,” Bridges said. “So I’ve been kind of exploring other options and taking other classes this year.” 

Davis describes Bridges as “Hardworking, confident, kind… and extremely smart.” 

“People think everything’s just easy for me, and I don’t have to put a lot of effort into stuff, which I think is a huge misconception because they don’t see the hours and hours and hours I spend on homework every night and the time is put into class and set,” said Bridges. “So it’s not like I just show up as class president or being on sports teams. I don’t just get to show up or have those perfect grades. I have to put a lot of work into it.”