Corn Roast Kicks Off Seniors’ Final Year

Class Officers’ Efforts Pay Off

Laura McKenna and Charlotte McDaniel

As the sun waned on a cool fall day, students filed onto the varsity baseball field for the senior corn roast, a 100 year old tradition designed to celebrate the start of school for the senior class.

Per tradition, students played frisbee, corn hole and participated in potato sack races and slid down an inflatable bouncy house. Another highlight was the dunk tank. Throngs of students did their best to hit the target and sink some of their favorite teachers. 

Members of the counseling department grilled the hot dogs and hamburgers. Also available to enjoy was cotton candy that chaperones served to the students and a Kona Ice truck offered the guests a special treat.

Senior class officers spent from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. setting up and cleaning up for the event.

“I’ve been here all day, I’m exhausted,” said Brooke Johnson, Class Secretary. “But I am having fun hanging out with friends.” 

Without the hard work of officers like Brooke, the corn roast wouldn’t have been the same. 

Because of the senior class officers’  imagination and commitment to host a memorable corn roast, members of the class of 2023 enjoyed their time there immensely. 

After her visit to the food table, Olivia Bartos  reported that she “Loved the corn; it’s amazing. I love corn.” 

Next to the dunk tank and in the line for Kona Ice, Alexa Grillo said, “I personally love the Kona Ice Truck.” 

Unlike other corn roasts,  students visiting from Spain attended the afternoon’s event and expressed their approval with smiles. One student named Iria with a wide smile on her face said,  “It’s very fun!” 

Despite the fact that a large number of seniors enjoyed themselves, some found it boring and complained that there weren’t many activities to do or enough food to eat. In the time between games and the bonfire, seniors stood around and tried to find entertainment. 

Colton Eleves said, “I wish there was more to do.” 

Some in attendance were disappointed because some of the games limited how many could participate. 

“The price of admission is not reflected in the activities,” said Sebastian Lamers. “The activities are childish.” 

Some students wondered why it’s called a corn roast if the corn that is served is boiled. Of course, there is a logical explanation for that because roasting corn for hundreds of guests would be impractical. 

Roast or Boil, the corn roast is a beloved event that is enjoyed year after year. The hard work of all who worked to make the corn roast possible was much appreciated by the vast majority of those who attended.